This past weekend, we played host to our first Metal Detecting weekend for twenty five national metal detectorists who came from far and wide to participate in a team competition on Shropshire soil.
Rich Bissell, our PGA Professional, who implemented the activities and local licenses for the group, is a keen metal detectorist and showcases his finds on his very own YouTube channel called RICHBISS Metal Detecting.
After some metal detecting on Friday for the early arrivals, the weekend kicked off with a g roup meal in our Lakeside Restaurant, where tactics, teams and treasures were discussed, before moving onto drinks in the bar.
On Saturday, after a hearty full English breakfast in the hotel, the teams converged on a local plot of land organised by Rich. The competition consisted of 3 teams, each allocated their section of land.
The land, with its close proximity to Patshull Hall and the surrounding workers’ houses, has been in use as farm land since the existing building was built in 1730. However, there are remnants of previous foundations
existing to this day, from the turn of the millennium. With this in mind, everyone was hopeful of finding a range of coins and artefacts.
By the end of the weekend, some of the treasures the teams had found included:
- A half sovereign was found by Amanda (YouTube channel)
- A Edward IV era groat was found by Pete
- An Edward I halfpenny was found by Brandon
- A Roman bird brooch was also found by Brandon
- A Henry VI groat was found by Ian Ashenya
- An Edward I long cross penny was found by Rafman
- A Roman buckle fragment was found by Rafman
- A pistol ball was found by Rafman
- A spectacle buckle was found by John
- An Edward I penny was found by Harry
- A George III coin was found by Harry
- A George III halfpenny was found by Harry
- A George II halfpenny was found by Harry
With a sizeable trophy at stake, the winning team was (names).
With the metal detecting over for the day, the group returned to the Hotel for a soak in the Jacuzzi before settling in at the bar for the night to watch the Wales v England rugby match, and the Wolves v Newcastle football game.
A big thank you to everyone who attended this week. If you’re interested in attending a future metal detecting weekend, sign up to our e-newsletter to be one of the first to hear about it. Packages during the weekend include bed and breakfast, with full access to the Leisure Club and the option to have beauty treatments in our spa room.
Check out some of the metal detectorists’ YouTube channel to see what was found over the weekend: