We love this time of year here at Patshull Park Fishery. What could be nicer on a clear, still, winter’s day than fishing? After the hectic Christmas festivities we enjoy our peaceful time on the banks or the boat. We are lucky that the Fishery at Patshull Park Hotel, Golf and Country Club offers some of the best winter fishing in the West Midlands. We’re situated in the stunning Shropshire countryside midway between Telford and Wolverhampton and we have 75 acres of well stocked lakes. What better setting could there be for a day Pike, Trout or Coarse fishing in the winter?
On the Great Lake during the winter season we have anglers fishing for pike, trout, coarse fish and carp. While it may seem strange having all these types of fishing on the same lake at the same time we have been doing it successfully for the last 25 years.
We’ve come up with some tips to help you get the most out of your winter fishing sessions here at Patshull Park.
Winter Pike Fishing: (Season from 12th October – 23rd February)
- Although the Pike is mainly a solitary predator, they do come together during the winter in the build up to spawning in early spring. This is the best time to catch “the big one” as each female attracts several males and the competition for food is at its greatest. Pike do seem to have a feeding cycle, fortunately it is not always the same over the whole lake so there is always the chance to find feeding fish.
- How to catch them is the next thing - do you sit it out on the bank or go looking for them in a boat? The staging by the bridge has, over the last 20 years, produced fish including the best two fish I have seen at 28lb and 32lb. A boat will allow you to fish more of the lake and improve your chances of finding fish.
Winter Trout Fishing: (Season from 1st November – 28th February & 1st March – 31st July)
- Traditionally, the trout season ended in October, but over the last 5 years we have stocked in November and fished through the winter. The best catch was made during our winter trout series of matches, when 33 and 29 fish were caught by two anglers in the same boat.
- The best way to fish the lake is from a boat, as most of the fish will be in the shallow waters from the old scout hut to Golfers Bridge and the bridge to the Island. The top of Plants Neck will also produce fish. In Lodge Bay, fish run the bank from the staging to the corner of the road dam.
Winter Coarse fishing: (Season - Great Lake from 1st August – 24th February; Bridge Pool - Year Round)
- Bream are usually the main target species in the lake, but during the winter they only show occasionally; Roach and Perch then come into their own. An open coarse match is run every Sunday on the hotel bank.
- Over the last couple of months, a remarkable number of bigger than average perch have been caught, the best at 3lb 7oz and several over 2lb.
If you have any queries or would like further information about fishing at Patshull Park Hotel, Golf and Country Club please call the Fishing Lodge on 01902 700774